Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Using Productivity Tools (More) Effectively

I will be the first to admit that although I use web-based productivity tools almost every day, I know that I do not take advantage of all the available features. For that reason alone, I am excited to start this 3rd class in the MEIT program - Using Productivity Tools Effectively.  I am interested in learning about anything that will help me communicate more clearly, accomplish tasks more efficiently and expand my information technology knowledge base.

Week one has been a mixed bag in terms of my expectations. I enjoyed the graphics program assignment - particularly the FACEinHOLE program. Who says homework can't also be fun. I actually created several graphics before settling on one to submit for the assignment. Here one that didn't make the cut (one look and you will know why):
http://www.faceinhole.com/show.asp?id=ea67c7dacd1614163ac
I can envision a really fun engagement/community building activity for my virtual school students utilizing this program. We also had to create a presentation using a program other that PowerPoint. It was interesting to explore some of the other options out there, but frankly, I didn't see anything that can match PowerPoint's feature rich environment. I use presentations frequently for open enrollment events, student/parent orientation sessions, student engagement activities and staff development meetings The alternative presentation programs I looked at may be good options for people who don't have access to PowerPoint, but I think I will stick with what I know.

The thing I have struggled with most is the text book: "Supporting Learning With Technology" by Egbert. As one of the few non-teachers in the cohort, I am really swimming in uncharted waters here. A lot of the focus is on teaching standards, lesson plans and classroom applications with which I have no experience. It has taken me a considerable amount of time to digest this information. The instructor estimated a little more than 5 hours of study time for this week and I have already put in more than 14 hours! I may have to rely on my study team and/or consult with some of the teachers I work with to help me bridge the knowledge/experience gap.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    Don't feel too bad about the focus on teaching standards, lesson plans, etc. For people who have been in the classroom for 20+ years as teachers, many of them would have the same problems. 20 years ago, the focus was on curriculum delivery. The changes in the culture and the students have changed the way that teaching needs to be approached. Today, teachers have to work harder to be able to get kids involved in learning. I don't know how many times I hear from students, "I'll never need to know this. Why do I have to learn this?" Unfortunately, we are in the age of ADHD and video games. With students used to receiving immediate gratification, if you can't hook their interest, you are going to be in a world of hurt as a teacher. I have also found that the students who tend to be the most disruptive have had a poor history in the educational system where they feel that they have been betrayed by the adults that they deal with in the schools. In many cases, this is an extension of their relationships with the adults in their life outside of the school. Feel free to contact me any time you need to. If you ever need a face-to-face chat, let me know and we can meet for coffee (or maybe something stronger like Mountain Dew) some time. I know that I am still struggling with some of the edu-speak (educational jargon) that is found in either classes or "professional development" myself. At worst, we would be able to compare notes about what confuses us and/or frustrates us. Remember, the point of us being in an educational situation is that we are here primarily to help kids. What makes it harder is that in many cases, either the kids don't believe we are here to do that, or that they don't want to be helped.

    (sorry for the double post, but I couldn't edit my earlier version)

    ReplyDelete