Monday, March 19, 2012

Are Leaders Born or Made?

Most people have probably heard someone described as a "natural born leader." True, some people seem to have an unusually high degree of confidence or charisma that draws people to them. Does that mean that people who do not possess that same qualities can never assume a leadership role? In other words, are some people predestined from birth to be leaders, while others who were born without the "leadership gene" relegated to just accept their position as a follower? The nature vs. nurture debate can be argued in regards to many social attributes and leadership is no exception.

Image by www.lumaxart.com/  
When asked to describe the qualities of a good leader, many people cite characteristics like passion, intelligence, vision, ability to communicate clearly, sense of humor, strength of character, patience, wisdom, common sense, reliability, creativity, sensitivity, etc. Surely, no one is born with all these traits fully developed. And people who have not previously demonstrated a quality like patience or the ability to communicate clearly can learn and practice those skills.

Legendary Green Bay Packers Football Coach Vince Lombardi once said, "Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile." (Note: As a Packers fan, I rarely pass up an opportunity to quote Vince Lombardi). I think there is some truth to that. In fact, I believe everyone possesses the intrinsic characteristics required for leadership, and that those characteristics can be nurtured and developed. This may be interpreted as a cop out, but my analysis is that leaders are both born and made.

Of course, that raises another question. What factors cause some people to assume leadership roles and others not? Economist John Kenneth Galbraith notes that, "All of the great leaders have one characteristic in common: it was the willingness to confront unequivocally the major anxiety of the people in their time. This, and not much else, is the essence of leadership." That would explain the actions of famous historical leaders, but what about your garden variety leaders; your CEOs, your police captains, your aldermen, your committee chairperson or your classroom teachers? For them I think their motivation is much more subtle. It's the vision to see the world as a better place and the recognition of their ability and responsibility to make it happen.

I consider myself a leader in my educational organization in the same way that President John Quincy Adams regarded leadership when he said, "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." For me that applies both to my colleagues as well as the students I come in contact with. I lead by doing my own job to the best of my ability every day and by advancing the vision of our organization.

In terms of my personal leadership style, I subscribe to a style of servant leadership championed by Lao Tzu, father of Taoism, that describes the function of leadership as producing more leaders, not more followers. "A leader is best when people barely know he exists," Lao Tzu teaches. "When his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting on my blog. I agree that leaders can be trained and developed, but I remain convinced that truly effective leaders must possess some natural ability or quality; a drive, like Galbraith describes, to confront challenges and affect change. I don't know that you can teach that. I am open to the possibility that such a quality exists in everyone, but remains dormant until drawn out somehow.

      Delete
  2. Chris, very interesting first paragraph. It makes one think exactly what it means to be a leader. This is something that I hadn't thought much about before this class. Do you find yourself evaluating what your leadership role is after reading some of the text?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a big fan of the text so far. It strikes me a short-sighted and poorly researched - presented as authoritative but relying almost entirely on the author's personal experience at one school district.
      Instead, I constantly evaluate my leadership role in terms of how I am empowering others in my school community and facilitating their growth and development as teacher leaders.

      Delete