Monday, December 19, 2011

Exploring Virtual Schools

Source: http://www.p21.org/index.php
Truth be told, I knew very little about virtual schools when I became the Program Manager at iQ Academy Wisconsin. But it didn't take long for me to understand the advantages for full-time students that are not being well-served in traditional schools and the benefit for other students to supplement their traditional school education with some online classes. Students in my school are gaining 21st Century Skills (or "Essential Skills" as they are referred to in my district) by utilizing technology to fundamentally change their educational experience. They learn not only how to find information, but how to validate, manipulate, synthesize and communicate that information. They are becoming skilled at electronic communication which allows them to collaborate despite their geographic separation. And they are using technology tools to create new knowledge and solve real problems - skills that will serve them well in the "real" world of life after school.
I have also had to quickly become familiar with the Virtual Schools Legislation in Wisconsin since it directly affects my school. I was encouraged when the enrollment cap was lifted and relieved that I would never again have to inform a parent that one of their children would be allowed to attend the virtual school but the other one was not as lucky in the lottery drawing and would be excluded for no good reason. I am hopeful that the state legislature will take the next logical step and change the open enrollment policy to extend the application window to make it easier for parents to choose the virtual school option if they feel it is the best learning environment for their child.
School Website: http://www.eachieve.com
My district involvement in online learning includes offering one of Wisconsin's largest and most successful virtual school in terms of average test scores and graduation rates. Starting with the 2012-13 school year, the newly re-named eAchieve Academy will become one of the few virtual schools in the state to be operated entirely by the district, and not be affiliated with a for-profit educational services company. This is a major but necessary undertaking if we want to remain true to our mission of keeping student success as our number one priority.  
During the module I was excited to learn about the different techniques virtual school teachers use to help students learn online. This knowledge has helped me develop a deeper understanding of virtual learning and will be extremely helpful as I work to provide students and teachers with all the resources they need to create a successful online learning enterprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment