Monday, January 16, 2012

ePortfolio = The New "Demo Tape"

The last time I had to create a portfolio of any kind was when I was finishing up my bachelors degree in broadcast communication at Marquette University. Back then, I had big dreams of becoming a TV news anchorman and my portfolio was essentially a collection of video clips of me anchoring the news on the closed-circuit campus television station. This became an electronic portfolio of sorts in that it was captured on 3/4" video tape then copied to VHS and mailed to TV stations in tiny towns all over the country in hopes of landing that elusive first job. As it turned out, I never made it in front of the camera due primarily to the fact that I have a face made for radio.
Clear to see from this screen shot (circa 1987) why my on-camera TV career was so short-lived
I got much better results from my news writing portfolio which consisted of scripts typed on a manual typewriter. As a result, I spent 10-years in the TV news business behind the camera as a writer and producer.

I haven't thought much about portfolios since those days, but I can certainly see the advantages of creating online portfolios for student, teacher and employee evaluations, job-seekers, professional development and consultants looking to demonstrate their areas of expertise to prospective clients. In my virtual school, where administering a multiple choice exam as a summative assessment is not the best option, having students create an online portfolio seems to be a much better way to evaluate their progress.

One of the pioneers in the development of ePortfolios is Dr. Helen Barrett. She delivered a very interesting Ted Talk on the subject in February 2010.

She has written extensively on the use of ePortfolios in K-12 education on her blog and teaches an online course called REAL ePortfolio Academy for K-12 Teachers if anyone is interested in learning more about how to use ePortfolios with your students. Very interesting stuff!

2 comments:

  1. Chris, nice blog posting. So you have a bit of experience with this portfolio sort of thing? I'm glad that you and Tammy are in my group then... I'll be picking your brains about your past experiences in this regard. The video of ePortfolios was pretty cool (is there anything that we've learned about that hasn't been discussed at TED?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these TED Talks. They are always well delivered and thought provoking. Great find on the Barrett talk as it brings up some great points about the nature of assessments. How do you set guidelines to create quality ePortfolios for your students. I always have issues with students following the letter of the rubric when creating something like this and then not going the extra mile to make it a truly quality reflection of their work,

    ReplyDelete